Associate Expert, Science & Technology - Upstream
Imagine… 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren’t meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor’s appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives. This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it’s the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapy are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases. We use cutting-edge technology to turn promising gene therapies into proven treatments beginning with SMA but also focusing on Rett Syndrome and Friedreich’s Ataxia. Imagine the lives you could transform by joining the Novartis Gene Therapy team.
The Associate Expert, Science & Technology – Upstream is responsible for gene therapy upstream process development, optimization and scaling up, process characterization, technology transfer and GMP manufacturing support.
- Designs and executes gene therapy upstream process development studies.
- Supports early development study projects and late stage process characterization and scaling up studies.
- Analyzes and interprets experimental data from process studies with strong statistical mindset.
- Preforms experiments at different scales to support pre-clinical, clinical and commercial programs.
- Assists the evaluation and introduction of new technologies.
- Authors technical reports and presents results of development studies both internally and externally.
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups to coordinate studies.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemically engineering, biochemical engineering, biological scientist, pharmaceutical sciences or related scientific discipline with 2 years research experience or 4 years of equivalent education/ experience may be accepted.
- Experience with bioreactor operation including ambr®, bench-top bioreactor, pilot scale bioreactor.
- Proficient in statistical analysis principles and software. Working knowledge and experience with Designof Experiment (DoE).
- Excellent team player with good communication skills.
- Up to 10% travel.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate’s qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.