769 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2021. Novartis Pharmaceuticals is seeking an Associate Director to join its Tax Planning team and play an integral role in collaboration transactions, restructurings, and tax research. This role requires strong tax technical skills including the application and interpretation of U.S. federal income tax law as it relates
to C corporations, consolidated tax groups and U.S. international tax, including current and proposed tax law (e.g., 163(j), BEAT, FDII, expense apportionment) and cross-border tax. This position will report directly to the Director, Tax Planning and actively partner with cross-border and cross-functional business leaders.
Your Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide tax technical advice to all US business units in close cooperation with the tax operations and transfer pricing teams, business units, finance organization and other key stakeholders.
• Track, document, and assess the impact of the changing legislative environment, including global tax rules and OECD Pillar I and II, expansion of the business, M&A transactions, corporate initiatives, accounting methods and pronouncements on the Company.
• Conduct research and draft tax memoranda on a variety of complex tax matters.
• Prepare and manage complex models, including those for tax reform, E&P, and basis.
• Provide tax legal advice and assistance to tax compliance and tax audit functions, especially as relates to Information Document Requests.
• Support the transfer pricing team with assessing multitude of intercompany transaction flows, supply chain and cross-border IP planning. Review intercompany agreements. Perform special tax projects, as required.
• Build and maintain close working relationships across various corporate and business functions throughout the organization to help facilitate timely and accurate tax reporting and execution of tax strategy.
• Provide ongoing support to global and local tax groups related to tax planning.
• Other projects and duties as required/assigned.
• Will need to work onsite in hybrid work environment.
What you will bring to this role:
• J.D. with admission to any state Bar and LLM in Taxation or Masters in Tax highly preferred; Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
• 8+ years experience in corporate tax planning with Big 4 accounting firm or major law firm, and/or in the tax department of a large publicly-held multinational corporate tax department.
• Strong technical knowledge and legal research and writing skills, with experience covering a broad range of complex tax matters.
• Exceptional business communication skills to effectively relate complex tax issues to leadership; ability to build relationships and collaborate extensively with key business partners and stakeholders.
• Excellent organization, project management, and interpersonal skills.
• Forge strong collaborative and credible relationships with external auditors, external tax and legal advisors, and taxing authorities.
• Able to handle and manage change in a proactive way.
• Strong team player who generates enthusiasm, collaboration, credibility and commitment.
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel and tax acc
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected]
call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected]
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
EEO StatementThe Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.