The Associate Director, FP&A - Research is a key member of Vertex's R&D Financial Planning & Analysis organization. The role partners closely with leadership team members for the Research functions across Vertex’s portfolio to provide financial direction and strategic insights to enable delivery against short term and long-term goals, including identification of key value drivers and Business KPIs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partners with executive team members and LT across Research functions supporting small molecule and Cell & Gene Therapy to lead the annual budget, monthly forecasting, and long-range planning process.
- Provides strategic decision support, influencing decisions and identifying opportunities to invest, save costs and mitigate risks for both operating and capital expense.
- Monitors/reports ongoing business performance against budgets/forecasts and works with business partners to understand and identify reasons for variances.
- Builds analytics and transparent reporting to drive forecast accuracy.
- Leads the monthly / quarterly accounting close for Research expenses and accruals, including compliance with SOX control requirements.
- Ensures the financial integrity and robust corporate governance and compliance of all financial aspects for areas of responsibility.
- Partners with Human Resources on Headcount reporting, forecasting and planning.
- Works closely with Program Management, Alliance Management and DST teams, on program assumptions and developing plans.
- Coordinates with other members of the CFO organization including Corporate Finance, International Finance and Accounting to maintain a continuous improvement mindset and promote strong communication and efficient processes.
- Manages one direct report, providing direction and coaching to encourage growth and helps drive the overall organization forward.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry, business partnering with an executive team.
- Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills necessary for daily interaction with senior management, as well as business partners and peers within Finance.
- Ability to lead and drive change in a developing business environment, coordinating processes involving large numbers of people, complex systems, and tight deadlines across multiple time zones.
- Strong skills demonstrated in MS Office and financial software applications, including Hyperion.
- Possesses a continuous improvement mindset, with flexibility and ability to adapt to change.
- Bachelors degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting or an equivalent qualification.
- Typically requires 8 years experience in a finance role demonstrating strong technical and analytical skills or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A track record of success working in a team-based environment.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that Vertex requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees working in the U.S. as a condition of employment at Vertex, subject to medical, religious or other accommodations or exemptions required by law. We believe this requirement is vital to keeping everyone at Vertex and in our communities safe. This requirement applies to both existing and new employees who may at any time work on-site at a Vertex facility or visit another location on behalf of Vertex (e.g., conferences, customer visits, etc.), including all remote employees. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.