For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an Associate Director for our Corporate Facilities team to be located remotely in the U.S., preferably in the Wilmington, MA area. The Associate Director will be responsible for oversight of engineering Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), design guidelines and managing coordination of design efforts on assigned capital projects from inception to completion in support of all business units. Work closely with project managers and local site management to coordinate design efforts and compile owner’s requirements in alignment with design guidelines. Oversee design efforts by 3rd party consultants, design management and coordination. Support site commissioning and technical trouble-shooting as needed.
The following are the responsibilities related to the Engineering Manager position:
• Lead team of SMEs supporting Global Engineering design efforts in the execution capital projects and support of facilities operations.
• Oversees, updates, and maintains design guidelines.
• Oversee centralized facility document storage.
• Benchmark and lead innovation in engineering design practices and guidelines.
• Leverage engineering expertise (i.e., automation/BMS, CQV, GxP, HVAC/Electrical, LEED and maintenance) throughout the network.
• Lead central utility and energy initiatives throughout the organization.
• Ensure value management in all design, energy, and maintenance elements are incorporated into projects.
• Work closely with project managers and local site management to coordinate design efforts and compile owner’s requirements in alignment with design guidelines, commissioning, validation, and operational delivery of large-scale capital projects so that project objectives are attained.
• Supports the selection process for hiring third party service firms as designers and related consultants by writing RFPs, evaluating proposals, conducting interviews, and making recommendations to senior management.
• Ensure user requirements such as furniture, fixture, and equipment (FFE) infrastructure are coordinated.
• Coordinate underwriter and code review of project designs in conjunction with Corporate Risk requirements.
• Alert developing problems where management intervention or oversight is required. Plan and implement appropriate actions or countermeasures necessary.
• Provide on demand engineering troubleshooting for new and existing facilities.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA) in an engineering disciple or related field. Master’s degree (MS) in engineering preferred.
• Experience: 7 or more years related experience in hi-tech (med device, pharma, biotech, R&D, semiconductor) design projects. Experience working on projects with budgets up to $100M.
• Certification/Licensure: Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or EIT preferred.
• Other: Sound working knowledge of LEED, Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), AAALAC, FDA/EU and government regulatory requirements and guidelines. Effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize work and meet deadlines. Proficiency in standard software including Microsoft® Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project, etc. Proficiency in CAD is beneficial.
• Employee is regularly required to talk, hear and work/type at a computer.
• Walking/surveying active operating facilities and construction sites.
• General office (remote) working conditions; 65%
• On-Site visits to various facility types; 35%
• Noise level in construction areas is usually moderate but may be loud enough to require hearing protection.
• Will involve some outdoor activities – walking around properties/construction areas
• This position will require domestic travel and international travel
Charles River is a U.S. Federal Contractor. As a result, we must follow the Presidential Executive Order to mandate vaccinations, and ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Our main priority is the wellbeing, health, and safety of our people. We require proof of vaccination from all employees.
Anyone with requests for disability-related and/or religious exemptions should contact Talent Acquisition ([email protected]) so that information can be provided about the accommodation process at Charles River.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 18,000 employees within 100 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of >80% of the drugs approved by the FDA for the past 3 years.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to [email protected] This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.