If you are interested in the dynamic field of safety pharmacology, we have a role that encompasses nearly all aspects of the discipline. Partnering with external providers, oversight and monitoring of all ICH S7a guidance studies are a primary responsibility of the role. As well, connectivity with aspects of toxicology investigations (ECG subject matter expertise). Follow up investigational studies, driving a deeper understanding of findings to design, set-up, and results interpretation are included in this role. Good organizational skills, diplomatic communication style, target team translation discussions are characteristics of the optimal candidates skill set.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Participates in and/or lead multidisciplinary teams together with scientists from other units in Novartis; will work with external partners monitoring outsourced studies. Leads safety pharmacology projects and monitors GLP/investigative studies, integrating independent experimental work to develop translational assessments.
• Builds increasingly broad scientific/technical/development toolkit for self and team, or deepens own technical/scientific specialty that enables the NIBR community in own areas of expertise.
• Enables matrix collaboration on project/technology solutions to achieve creative results for impact on project goals. Generates innovative ideas within diverse therapeutic areas and/or project team/target team community to answer key scientific/technical/development questions. Establishes target dates and priorities to enable data-driven advancements in project teams, monitoring collaborative safety pharmacology investigations CV-Resp-CNS) for the project axis community.
• Systematically develops and recommends study objectives for project teams surrounding own area of expertise, and provides input to broader group objectives, overseeing studies/guiding and empowering associates in team or enabling matrix/junior collaborators. Provides coaching and leadership to facilitate drug safety endpoints and/or early development solutions for projects.
• May supervise scientists and ensure compliance to all protocols, procedures, animal welfare, safety, OSHA regulations and company policies. Shall function as a leader in technical excellence (displays a high level of competence in ECG/cardiac dynamics as well as laboratory technical procedures), and diplomatic communication outside the group.
• Apply scientific knowledge to encourage the use of new methodologies/techniques and optimize existing models/methods. Compliance, safety, and quality are critical and must be the driving force for all activities. Meeting timelines, budget-compliance, and coordination of activities within other internal functions and external customers are also of high priority. May be assigned to Study Monitor duties outside of safety pharmacology investigations, and other tasks/workstreams by management.
What you’ll bring to the role:
•Bachelor’s Degree with 12 years’ experience in preclinical safety /research laboratories, or Master’s degree with 8 years preclinical safety /research laboratories experience, or PhD with 5 years relevant experience.
•Effective organizational skills (planning, training, time management, etc.)
•Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
•Bench level competence in the quality-environment (minimum of 5 years bench experience)
•Thorough understanding of operations/procedures/equipment in the respective discipline. (e.g. toxicology, safety pharmacology, investigative pathology, anatomic pathology, clinical pathology).
•Broad understanding of scientific and technical operations in Preclinical Safety.
•Computer skills including data entry/auditing in system software, and strong skills in Microsoft windows-based software.
The ideal location for this role is East Hanover, NJ but remote work may be possible (there may be some restrictions based on legal entity). Please note that this role would not provide relocation as a result. If associate is remote, all home office expenses and any travel/lodging to specific site for periodic live meetings will be at the employee’s expense. The expectation of working hours and travel (domestic and/or international) will be defined by the hiring manager. This position will require 15% travel.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected]
or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Vaccine Policy: While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected]
Join our Novartis Network: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
EEO StatementThe Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.