GMS is the leading North American distributor of gypsum wallboard, acoustical ceiling products and other specialty building materials. Founded in 1971, GMS now operates a network of more than 250 distribution centers nationwide. For more information about GMS, visit www.gms.com or any one of our subsidiary company websites.
Summary of Position:
The primary function of an assistant dispatcher is to work in conjunction with the Dispatcher/Operations Manager to direct and coordinate the ordering and delivery materials to customers in the day-to-day operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain receiving, warehousing and distribution operations by initiating, coordinating and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures
- Complies with federal, state, and local warehousing, material handling, and shipping requirements and enforces adherence to requirements
- Completes warehouse/delivery requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results
- Coordinates with personnel to ensure that service to the customer meets an acceptable standard and generates positive feedback
- Ensures compliance with the Safety and Loss Control Program
- Cooperates with Safety director and GMS Risk Management representatives in the investigation, analysis of potential hazards to enforce methods and reduce losses of claims.
- Ability to self-manage, show initiative and be proactive
- Communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing to coworkers and customers
- GED required, some college preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of dispatching experience
- Must be able to remain in stationary position 60%
- Frequently, will move about inside the office and warehouse
- Must be able to operate basic office machinery
- Must be able to communicate with team and management and be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Constantly working in office and warehouse environment
- Must be able to problem solve and prioritize tasks
- Must be able to manage stress depending on delivery deadlines
- Must be able to multitask
- Must be able to quickly communicate solutions if problems occur
- Must be able to demonstrate a high degree of sound judgement and initiative
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance
- Paid holidays & vacation days
This job description is subject to change at any time.
Launch your career with a national building materials distributor and discover opportunities for growth and advancement. Our people have the independence and authority to make a difference. We invest in relationships, and every person is important. Our highest priority is serving others. We passionately pursue a safe work environment along with a relentless focus on operational excellence. We believe you can never go wrong doing the right thing.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER