Mechanical Assembler - Will work with all departments of the work shop to ensure accuracy of all components of the assembly process.
Who we are
At SMS group, our people are our greatest asset. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that promotes a culture of innovation, growth, and inclusion. We offer company events, activities, and opportunities to participate in charitable initiatives that benefit the communities where we are located.
The right candidate will
- Safety minded worker who is drug free and dependable with an excellent attendance record
- Reports and/or corrects all unsafe conditions immediately
- Reports any safety incidents prior to the end of the shift
- Performs complex disassembly and assembly work duties
- Performs cleaning, grinding, painting, hydrostatic testing, hydraulic testing, flame testing, and all related tasks to buildings, equipment, components, and subassemblies
- Basic welding/burning functions. Performs heating required for some assemblies
- Performs grit blasting and steam cleanings
- Moves equipment and parts using the fork truck, crane, or other material handling equipment
- Performs clean up of work area and surrounding areas and keeps work area organized
- Assists other employees as directed by management or group leaders
- Completes forms, routers, and related paperwork
- Mentors other employees as needed
- All other assigned duties and tasks
What you'll need
- Hazard Recognition - knows/understands hazards of the job assignments before starting a job
- Communication - effectively communicates with other employees
- Basic Measuring - use various measuring devices and gages as required
- Advanced Measuring - use various complex measuring devices and gages as required
- Blueprint Reading - interprets drawings
- Work from bills of material, purchasing lists, shipping documents and parts/shop supplies
- Basic computer skills is preferred
- Cranes - lifts equipment safely, knows where disconnect switches are, performs daily crane inspections, loads and unloads trucks, stages equipment
- Forklift - drive safely, load and unload, refuel, perform daily forklift inspections
- Steel making equipment maintenance is preferred
- High school diploma or GED preferred
- Reading/writing skills (literacy) as required
- Mathematics - knows basic shop math and other functions necessary for the job
- OSHA General Industry 10 Hour Course is preferred
What we offer
Competitive compensation, medical/dental/vision coverage, paid holiday time, 401k with a company match, training, a tuition reimbursement program and more!
What we do
SMS group is the leading partner in the world of metals. We are an original equipment supplier offering comprehensive maintenance and spare part services for metals production, continuous casting and rolling (flat and long products), tubes, welded pipes, forging, non-ferrous technology, and heat treatment plants-all from a single source.
SMS group Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, gender identity or other categories protected by law. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and physical capacity profile test.