As posted by the hiring company
Job Description100,000+ strong! That the number of dedicated employees here at Novartis, focused on discovering and developing new medicines for unmet medical needs. “Unmet medical needs means a condition for which there exists no satisfactory method of diagnosis, prevention or treatment in the Union or, even if such a method exists, in relation to which the medicinal product concerned will be of major therapeutic advantage to those affected” - Article 4 paragraph 2 of Commission Regulation (EC) No. 507/2006.
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis. We are seeking a creative and collaborative investigator practiced in wet and dry lab research to join our mission to develop transformative new therapies for patients with chronic diseases. The successful candidate will work at the cutting edge of applied data science to model and test important priorities in translational research by iteratively mining and testing complex data to drive drug discovery and early development. As a member of NIBR, the successful candidate will participate in a global community with extensive know-how and resources in data analysis, data stewardship, machine learning, advanced experimental techniques and resources to test biomedical hypotheses derived from computed models.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Applying novel approaches to model complex Human biomedical data (eg. Clinical, ‘Omic, Imaging, Others) to identify biomarkers for disease progression and treatment response, and to nominate novel therapeutic target hypotheses
- Developing, managing and applying a portfolio of relevant pre-clinical data of internal and public sources
- Work closely with a core team of Translational Research & Data Science scientists to advance portfolio objectives
- Actively participate on interdisciplinary teams to model biology applying computational techniques to drive impactful decision-making in drug discovery and early development
- Actively participate in alliances with external partners at top healthcare institutions, with the opportunity to publish your work
Minimum requirementsWhat you'll bring to the role:
- PhD in a biomedical or a data science field, or equivalent life sciences industry experience modeling biomedical research data
- A record of publication, patent and/or open software sharing is preferred
- Demonstrated working knowledge and application of statistics and data modeling to large scale life-sciences data. Experience developing predictive models
- Hands-on experience in integration of large multi-omics data (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics) to answer key scientific questions related to precision medicine and understanding disease
- Proficiency in R/Python and competency working in a Linux environment
- Reproducible research practitioner with demonstrated visualization and reporting skills
- Hands-on experience with clinical data or familiarity with clinical data management standards
- Experience with real world evidence is a plus
- A team-oriented, practical approach to problem solving
- A commitment to prioritizing patient unmet medical needs
Why consider Novartis?
766 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2021. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how will we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore. Where you’re empowered to take smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
EEO StatementThe Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.