Application Engineering Summer Intern 2022 - Littleton, CO
About 3D Systems
As the original pioneers of 3D printing, 3D Systems has been at the forefront of shaping the entire additive space from aerospace to healthcare since our founding in 1986. Our innovation in digital manufacturing is changing lives and transforming how the world produces goods. It’s a big responsibility to have this type of impact and it’s where we thrive.
We have a diverse team with some of the world’s most dynamic and forward-thinking talent composed of individuals with heart, grit, a ton of curiosity, and the brainpower to bring ideas to reality. To lead, explore, and innovate with the utmost integrity is the cornerstone of our work.
As part of our continuous effort to Littleton, CO. location grow our talented and innovative workforce, we have an exciting opportunity available in our for an Intern to join us for the 2022 Summer Internship Program! We welcome applications from students of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
What Are We Looking For?
We believe that conducting business with integrity, valuing diversity in people and ideas, and being a positive force for action in our company and our communities are vital to our success and the right thing to do. We’re looking innovative thought leaders who share this passion to join our 2022 Summer Intern Program.
Summer Internship Program Overview…
Our 12 week Summer Program is designed to provide students a challenging and meaningful internship to gain valuable and hands on experience. All students in the program will be given a project with clear learning objectives and desired outcomes. At the conclusion of the internship, each intern will have the opportunity to present their summer project to leadership. Interns will also have exposure to other areas of 3D Systems to learn about all of our solutions. You will be given the opportunity to network with other interns and colleagues at 3D Systems including our senior leaders.
Application Engineering Summer Intern 2022 - Littleton, CO
Responsibilities can include:
- Complete Gage R&R and MSA to support better inspection criteria and processes
- Data analysis for trending purposes and project prioritization
- Process flow improvements and 5S implementation for inspection room and equipment.
- QMS continuous improvement projects
- Implementation of NC and complaints processes in new electronic system
- Supporting the production floor to keep current production processes progressing through their defined workflow
- Identify gaps in current workflows and processes, implement changes to address gaps, and confirm effectiveness of changes through use of engineering change orders, NCMRs, deviations and CAPAs.
- Interface with the quality control and finishing technicians to resolve part conformance issues
- Specify new tools/equipment for the finishing team and update/create applicable material/equipment specifications
- Assist with installation, operation and performance qualification for new equipment and processes
- Support the manufacturing engineering team with improvement activities in order to maximize process efficiency
- Support scrap reduction activities
- Update documentation such as work instruction, standard operating procedures and process specifications to align production processes and incorporate changes.
- Application Innovation Group
- Creation or assistance with curriculum development to support various enablement projects such as Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM), complex supporting strategies and similar
- Development of process characterizations
- Analysis of complex build simulations and their accuracy to in situ monitoring and process outputs
- Development of novel application approaches to use additive manufacturing to solve application problems for critical industries like aerospace and healthcare.
- Development of new materials, parameters and processes
- Support of application development engineering projects to help bring customer ideas to reality
- Use of specialized tools such as computational/generative design, topology optimization to create use cases for additive manufacturing
Summer Project - The primary responsibility for the candidate is to complete their assigned project and presentation by the end of the 10-week internship
- The intern is responsible for meeting all project milestones defined by the project sponsor.
- The intern is responsible for generating a presentation to communicate the results of their project to the 3D Systems management team.
- The intern is responsible for completing learning objectives throughout the internship and incorporating this knowledge into their final presentation
- Project definition will be discussed at time of engagement
Our preference is for current students who are rising seniors in an undergraduate program or final year students in a graduate program from an accredited top tier school and program.
- We look for students from various Engineering disciplines including but not limited to: Mechanical, Chemical, Materials Science/Metallurgy, Biomedical or other relevant discipline.
- The ideal candidate should exhibit the following skills:
- Experience with quality, testing, thermodynamics, heat transfer, instrumentation, controls, design, materials, CAD, etc is preferred.
- Proficient in CAD-software such as: 3DXpert, Magics, Solid Works
- Strong communication, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal and leadership abilities.
- Have an outstanding record in his/her discipline with regards to creativity, productivity and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate and interpret ideas shared in a cross-functional environment
Why 3D Systems?
Making a meaningful difference
Founded in 1986, we are the original pioneers of 3D printing. Today, we have a diverse global team that is at the forefront of shaping the entire additive space that spans everything from aerospace to healthcare.
What we’re doing in digital manufacturing is changing lives and transforming how the world makes things. It’s a big responsibility to have this type of impact. And it’s where we thrive.
Gain meaningful experience
Our goal is to ensure every 3D Systems intern has a truly immersive and meaningful learning experience during their time with us. Experiences our interns have exposure to include, but are not limited to:
- Networking & team building events with company leaders and fellow interns
- “Senior Speaker Series” – a variety of topics led by key senior leaders
- Strategic Workshops
- Targeted Panel Discussions
- Team Projects with final presentations to executive leadership including CEO