Teledyne Optech and Teledyne CARIS have united to form the new Teledyne Geospatial offering holistic solutions to seamlessly map land and sea through the integration of industry-leading lidar sensors and world-renowned software workflows.
Teledyne Optech has been a world leader in the design, development, and manufacture of advanced lidar instruments for 40 years. Teledyne Optech is a pioneer in sensor technology with decades of experience in lidar and photogrammetry, as well as auxiliary technologies such as GPS, inertial measurement systems, and waveform digitization. Our rugged, reliable, and innovative lidar and camera products are deployed on all seven continents—and even on other planets, where for instance a Teledyne Optech lidar provided proof of precipitation on Mars.
Teledyne CARIS is the world’s leading developer of geospatial software for ocean mapping and marine information systems with its headquarters in Fredericton, Canada. We offer an integrated suite of software that specializes in processing sonar and LiDAR data, managing and analyzing large data sets, producing charts and maps, and serving data over the internet as well as other specialized needs. Our software is used by government agencies, defence organizations, commercial survey companies as well as the research and academic community.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The successful applicant will be part of a team (Application team) of experts working for Teledyne Geospatial (Teledyne Caris and Teledyne Optech). Application engineers typically participate in one or several of the following activities depending on their skillset and the needs of the company:
- Solve complex problems related to Teledyne Geospatial products: provide help to the sales team on a technical level (questions from potential customers, demos, preparation of data, etc.); provide help to the support team on issues requiring extended investigation; provide help to the software, hardware and production teams on issues requiring significant investigation and analysis
- Participate in Teledyne Geospatial projects on a technical level (answer to tenders, technical analyst role, technical support)
- Participate in automation projects and tasks
- Provide trainings and consultancy; train colleagues internally on area(s) of expertise
- Document complex procedures and workflows to enable transfer of knowledge within the company
- Be pro-active with regards to product quality: report and follow-up on quality issues
- Be pro-active with regards to process improvement: report and follow-up on potential process improvements
- Develop and maintain expertise on subset of Teledyne Geospatial products
- Develop new skills and product knowledge to complement and support the Application team skill set and the organization needs
- Participate in R&D activities
We are looking for an application engineer to complement the range of skills and experience of the team. The new team member will initially focus on taking ownership of the calibration process of Optech products as well as being the team’s point of contact for mathematical problems. The role will develop and include other activities which will depend on the applicant’s profile and the company’s needs.
Experience, qualifications and interests:
- Degree in Mathematics, Electrical, Systems or Mechanical Engineering (MSc or PhD preferred); strong skills in mathematics required
- 3+ years experience in systems engineering, systems integration and/or geometric calibration of complex opto-mechanical systems
- Coding or scripting experience (C++, Python, Matlab, etc. )
- Interest and proven ability to solve complex problems (data analysis, workflow analysis, understanding of algorithms, etc.)
- Experience in geospatial industry is preferred
- Interest in being involved in a wide range of products/technology of Teledyne Geospatial
- Able to investigate a problem independently
- Able and enthusiastic about teaching other team members on topics of expertise
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills/products/technology
- Team player
- Good communication skills: able to work efficiently in a multicultural team, with different education/work backgrounds and living in different countries (remote interactions)