AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products and services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and now we manufacture over two thousand products, employ over 5,000 associates and consistently generate annual sales in excess of a billion-dollars in revenue. With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL “Connect” you to your next career opportunity!
We are seeking recent graduates or Seniors looking for an excellent opportunity to learn and grow in the fiber optics industry. We offer terrific on the job training and the chance to be involved in some awesome, hands-on projects! We work with the leading companies in the Hyperscale data center market including the world’s largest cloud companies, social media platforms and colocation providers.
What We Offer:
- A hybrid in office schedule for qualifying employees
- Flexible time off policy
- 401K Company match (up to 4% - dollar for dollar)
- Professional development, training, and tuition reimbursement programs
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and life insurance policy options
- Opportunities for career advancement with an industry leading company!
The Applications Engineer provides technical support to a specific market or customer for a product/group of products, which include creating application notes, instruction manuals and conducting training. The incumbent initiates: New Product Requests (NPR), Engineering Change Requests (ECR) to existing products, supports all external Requests for Quote responses and assists in product development activities.
- Provide pre - and post - technical support to sales, customer service representatives and customers
- Conduct product training both internally for company associates and externally for customers, sales agents and representatives
- Create documents for new product introductions, installation instructions, application notes and product specification guidelines
- Initiate NPR and ECR processes Interact with manufacturing, sales and research teams to develop and market new products
- Lead RFx response efforts
- Supports Request for Quote response efforts
- Remain up to date and knowledgeable on the most current competitor product offerings and technology
- Adhere to and promote the environmental, health and safety policies of AFL.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Optical, Industrial, or Electrical Engineering
- Entry level up to 3 years’ of experience in a manufacturing or industrial environment
- Experience or knowledge of fiber optics, is a plus
- Fiber optic component fabrication background is a must. This may include fiber optics theory, fiber test and measurement, and process development. Previous experience with design and/or development or production of fiber lasers, fiber amplifiers, fiber components (combiners, couplers, side pumps, etc.), and/or optical fiber splicing.
- Strongly proficient using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Highly effective/strong communication skills (oral and written).
- 50%+ travel may be required.
- Knowledge of mechanical tooling design, software macro generation, or fiber optic component packaging.
- “Find a way” and “can do” mentality.
- Project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills – technical writing, commercial writing, public speaking.
- Computers skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Work in a controlled manufacturing environment
- Travel up to 50%