Applications engineers at Edmund Optics (EO) are responsible for providing pre-sales and post-sales technical support to customers utilizing optical components in a variety of application spaces (e.g. life sciences, biomedical, industrial inspection, semiconductor, R&D, and defense). They are part of a dynamic team that is extensively trained to assist customers with Edmund Optics’ commercial off-the-shelf components and custom manufacturing capabilities. Level 1 applications engineers are tasked with not only assisting customers, but working on high value projects to address internal needs.a
This position is being filled in either our Tucson, Arizona office or our Corporate Headquarters in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
- Provide product and application support to customers contacting us via phone, chat, email, and video chat (5hrs/day).
- Field custom optics requests and determine feasibility based on Edmund Optics’ manufacturing capabilities. Assist with the formal quoting process if the request is feasible.
- Attend trainings given by 3rd party suppliers to stay up to date with existing and emerging technology.
- Provide pre-sales support in the form of quotes, pricing, and availability.
- Provide post-sales support in the form of troubleshooting and RMA creation.
- Log customer interactions (including inquiry type and resolution) using Dynamics CRM.
- Work with other departments within Edmund Optics to provide complete customer solutions, improve the customer experience, and stay apprised of company operations.
- Partake in valuable side projects that align with company goals/needs and foster skill development.
- Support and help to grow a small number of customer accounts by serving as the dedicated technical liaison.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in key optical engineering/physics concepts
- Adept problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Basic customer service skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to review, edit, and draft technical documents such as spec sheets, application notes, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Strong work ethic
- Experience with optical and mechanical design software (e.g. SolidWorks, Zemax OpticStudio, etc.)
This position requires compliance with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All candidates must be a US citizen or a US permanent resident.
Minimum Requirements: B.S. in optical sciences/engineering or B.S. in engineering/physics with one year technical slaes experience
Preferred Requirements: M.S. in engineering/physics with one or more years of technical sales experience
Ability to sit at desk or PC for long periods of time; work in office setting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.