Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at California Times, incorporating Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune, two of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
Fulfill development and production of highly effective print custom/branded content sections and products that meets or exceeds the client and reader expectations while maximizing productivity and quality. This effort includes modification of existing materials and generating professionally produced page layouts.
- Establishes the creative identity, vision and design standards for the Brand Publishing print products.
- Utilize talent, experience and skills in the most effect manner in order to create professional and appealing single and multi-page layouts.
- Ability to adhere to existing styles and templates and or complement the existing look.
- Employ design concepts that strategically appeal to target demographics.
- Remain current on the latest graphics software, techniques, and designs.
- Ensure all production pages are type set, proofread, built to the printer specifications, colors are pre-pressed for optimal reproduction and submitted to page production in appropriate format in a deadline environment.
- Focus on speed and accuracy while maintaining errors to a minimum.
- Work with Brand Publishing Editors, Advertising Sales and Marketing and Business Operations partners in a collaborative fashion.
- Keep current on product knowledge and specifications.
- Report possible copyright/legal styles infringement from files or instructions submitted.
- Create mock-ups of page layouts and innovative advertising as needed. Utilize talent, experience and skills in the most effect manner in order to create novel and appealing advertising materials.
- Assist with print production advertisements.
- A minimum of five years (preference for 10 years) of experience as a lead designer at a journalistic/magazine publication and/or print creative design and advertising.
- Expert proficiency with the entire Adobe Creative Suite, with a solid foundation of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Acrobat Pro.
- Demonstrated ability to design compelling, sophisticated newspaper and magazine pages.
- Well-developed typographic skills and use of color.
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates excellence in photo editing and use.
- Strong knowledge of color reproduction.
- Strong knowledge of print and production processes.
- A history of designing and developing alternate story forms.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Keen sense of design and ability to generate revenue through creative solves and maintaining brand consistency.
- Detailed oriented and ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and manage multiple projects.
- Self-motivated and able to take ownership of projects.
- Knowledge of emergent design trends and standards.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and manage multiple projects.
- Previous experience using CCI Newsgate and Layout Champ (a plus).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Fine Art, Advertising or related field or experience equivalent
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.