The Accounting Clerk-Accounts Payable located at our Global Headquarters in Michigan City, IN reports to our Operations Accounting Manager and is responsible for maintaining accounts payable records. Verify invoice information, verify computer written checks, and pay invoices within terms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Invoice processing – enter invoice data into voucher entry screen, determine use tax liability, verify item/service received, quantity, and price. Resolve any discrepancies within payment terms.
- Check processing – select vouchered invoices that fall within the appropriate alpha and date ranges. Run and review the check run edit. Run program to print checks, burst carbons, and run checks through signature plate. Mail original to vendor, and match copy to invoices.
- Month-end A/P closing – run Open Payables, Cash requirements, and A/P distribution reports. Verify accuracy of reports against monthly journal of posting batches. Post A/P sub-ledger to G/L.
- Voucher and pay customer Credits for Accounts Receivable.
- Provide month end Use Tax information by running the monthly Use Tax accrual report. The Use tax accrual report is compared to the A/P distribution report for accuracy. Use Tax accrual report and hand adjustment are given to the individual responsible for filing the state returns.
- All debits processed on a timely basis, especially those issued to infrequently used vendors. Older unresolved debits must be resolved with the help of Purchasing, Plant Managers, or the Credit Area.
- File vendor invoices and payments.
- Assist other department/branches/plant with A/P related information.
- Responsible for developing, tracking, and completing projects relating to Accounts Payable.
- Other duties as directed by Supervisor, Cost & Accounts Payable.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s):
- Conduct Invoice & Check processing
- Provide month end Use Tax information
- File vendor invoices and payments
- Voucher and pay customer Credits for Accounts Receivable
- Conduct month end A/P closing
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Good communication skills.
- Typing and calculator skills.
- PC background – Word & Excel.
- Knowledge of how debits and credits work to reconcile accounts.
- Planning and organizing time efficiently.
- Knowledge of general ledger account numbers.
- Speed, accuracy, and dependability.
- Discretion in confidential matters.
- Ability to work with others.
Physical/Mental Essential Functions:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business documents and manuals
- Ability to interact / communicate effectively with customers, employees, and external personal
- Ability to follow a set of procedures or set sequences
- Ability to use keyboard, sporadic 10 key
- Ability to use mouse (or alternative input device)
- Work in an office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Some areas are narrow and difficult to maneuver. Work hours are from 8:00 am until 5:00pm with minimal flexibility. No elevator access to the second floor.
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.
Dwyer Instruments Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, and protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.