Account Manager & Business Development, Lab Design Sales
Job SummaryThe Lab Furniture Specialist is accountable and responsible for delivering the highest level of customer support, technical knowledge and lab planning for our customers’ new laboratory builds, renovations and similar projects. The Lab Furniture Specialist works within the matrix of general sales representatives, supply partners, operations, project managers, customer service teams to act as main point to ensure we meet deadlines, specifications, customer requirements, as well as, long-term account goals in line with company and business unit strategy.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assume overall territory ownership, grow the assigned territory with a strong acumen for business development
- Assist customers with the design and product selection for building out their lab space in all customer end markets (Educational/Medical Research, Industrial, Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Production, Healthcare);
- Build and manage a pipeline through all stages of the sales process using CRM tools;
- Identify and close lab renovation and expansion projects;
- Train generalist reps on all aspects of the lab furniture program and motivate them to sell target product areas;
- Communicate effectively within matrixed team;
- Drive portfolio in local areas by communicating and supporting growth plans and regional strategies;
- Support the generalist sales reps and management team by attending regional meetings, strategy sessions, key account blitzes and on-site technical seminars;
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Strong ability to understand laboratory workflows and to then translate that into an efficient working environment using space planning.
- Strong knowledge of architectural plans and specifications; able to prepare material take-offs and cost estimates.
- Must have an understanding of, and experience within, the life science research market.
- Experience in project management and ability to use AutoCAD/Revit is required.
- Previous history working with and developing business relationships with architects, engineers, general contractors and key facilities personnel.
- Be a proactive individual, as well as have solid communication, organizational, time management, and PC skills
- Be a self-starter that exhibits drive, judgement and influence; is motivated, effectively implements programs, recognizes opportunities, communicates ideas, and acts with little direction in a fluid and matrixed environment
- Overnight travel is required
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or French is desired
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications):
- Minimum 3-5 years sales experience.
- Familiarity with products in CSI divisions 10, 11, 12 required.
- B.S. degree in construction science, mechanical engineering or equivalent required.
- Construction sales and lab planning experience preferred.
- Lean process improvement experience preferred.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT
Typically works in a home office environment with extensive regional travel to customer locations. Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be developed to resolve problems. A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on routine basis.
Minimal physical effort is required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at TalentManagement@avantorsciences.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
3rd party non-solicitation policy
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation