Operate and perform production machine set-ups & maintenance of semi-automated four-slide machining centers for straight cut operations. Will work to precise tolerances to build and repair stamping and forming dies used in the manufacture of springs/wire forms. They will be responsible for all aspects of the tooling process. Responsible for quality and quantity of own work.
This position reports to the Plant Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Set-up, operate and maintain four-slide or multi-slide mechanical machines for straight cut. Perform first piece and in process inspection of parts to maintain tolerance limits and quality. Solicit and apply input from Production Work Group Technical Lead, Supervisor or Plant Manager to resolve mechanical operational or tooling issues or quality problems to return machines to proper working order with minimal disruption to production.
- Clean and perform preventative maintenance on machines according to department schedule.
- Adjust and maintain machines, when necessary, achieving correct dimensional tolerances and part visual workmanship standards.
- Maintain clean, orderly and safe work area.
- Follow, develop, revise and update work group machine maintenance and associate schedules to meet production volume and quality requirements. Communicate production maintenance revision changes to Plant Manager and Team Lead ensuring Standard Work aligns with most current maintenance protocols.
- Work with MRP system maintaining accurate in process router work order and production quantity reporting.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications; make adjustments as necessary.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Inspect finished dies for contour conformity and defects.
- Select metals to be used from a range of metals and alloys, based on properties such as hardness, heat tolerance, and wear.
- Set up and operate conventional or CNC controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or grinders.
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Develop and design new tools and dies, AutoCAD design software
- Job functions include but are not limited to those listed.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Proven ability to work on cam operated machinery/automobile.
- Ability to use surface grinder is a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Knowledge of various hand tools, power tools, and all basic measuring tools, such as optical comparator, micrometers, calipers, height gauges, plug gauges and platform indicator.
- Responsible for having own tools to perform job functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED
- 1-2 years Four-slide or Multi Slide experience, Vocational, Community College, or Apprenticeship training
- Knowledge of CNC Programming
- Ability to work to close tolerances
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Exposure to AutoCAD, or Mastercam a plus
- Ability to move large, bulky objects up to 50 lbs.
MW Industries, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Visit us at www.mw-ind.com for more information about MW Industries, Inc. and our affiliate companies.
Job Type: Full-time