ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Functions essential to attaining job objectives):
- Receive verbal directions from supervisor regarding operations and assignments to be performed. Refer to specifications for approximate machine settings. Utilize drawings of extruded products or profiles for verification and dimensions. Update these as needed.
- Training of new employees, as well as, current apprentice technicians of all aspects of job requirements.
- Dismantle, clean and inspect dies and set-ups. Put dies back into storage area, making sure to keep dies and tools stored properly.
- Make recommendations for die replacement when established criteria are met.
- Adjust guides for variable sizes and shapes. Open water valves to regulate flow into trough. Open hopper feed for even flow, checking and adjusting head pressure to regulate flow of material. Check finished products for proper color, shape, size, length, and similar requirements. Make corrective adjustments to machine components and associated equipment.
- Check finished products for proper color, shape, size, length, and all specified requirements.
- Set up of take up reels and conveyors for desired tension. Box, package and wind extruded product and move or have moved to adjacent storage area.
- Weigh and dispose of scrap materials in designated containers and move material or containers to the appropriate area.
- Lubricate machine at regular intervals for proper operation. Check all reservoir levels and replenish as required.
NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Marginal tasks performed on this job):
- Maintain daily output records of production. Make changes in specifications after confirmation.
- Help the persons engaged in boxing, packaging or winding operations.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area.
- Fill in on other jobs with equal or less difficulties when needed.
- Must be able to interact with employees in a professional manner at all times.
JOB STANDARDS (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential job functions):
- Must be able to use and read a tape measure.
- Must be able to use calipers to measure thickness, diameters and distance between surfaces.
- Must be able to stand for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Must be able to carry, lift or push work-in-process which could weigh between 50 to 100 pounds.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/SKILLS (Needed to perform this job specifically):
- Basic math skills (adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing) are necessary to perform job functions.
- Basic writing skills are required in the completion of daily production records.
- Basic verbal communication skills are required to transfer or interpret the explanation of problems and to receive and understand work assignments.
- Good motor skills (hand/eye coordination) are necessary for the efficient operation of this job.
- Good vision required to visually inspect vinyl for quality.
EQUIPMENT (Machines, devices, tools, personal protective equipment, etc. used on this job):
Polymer extruder, Polymer extrusion dies, automatic cutters, take up reels, electric hoist, hand truck, hand tools, hearing protection, eye protection and safety shoes.
Vinyl. Noise levels require the use of ear plugs. Due to noise levels, verbal communications may, at times, be difficult. Area is not air conditioned. Floor is concrete with no floor covering. Occasional slight smoke in the air coming off of the extruder head.
TESTING (What tests are required to determine skill levels):
Evaluation by supervisor and senior technicians of abilities.